Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Dinnertime Tradition: Best and Worst

With my family of only little people, it is easy to just run from one need to the next all day. Especially with homeschooling thrown in the mix. When they have a discipline issue, we sit down and have a heart to heart, and I try to fit in good conversation in every day, but you know, with 4 kids in 4 years... it can get hairy some days. So one way I discovered was a good way to really talk to the kids (actually really the older two - ages 5 and 3) was to do a dinner time "best and worst." We take turns, even the grown ups, and say what was the best part of our day, and what was the worst part of the day.

It starts with the youngest ones, because they just can't wait too long for their turn. So for us, Sweetheart starts, and trust me, at age 2, he can give some bizarre answers. Most of the time he has no idea what we really mean, but if we skip him, he gets upset. Then it's on to the next oldest.

I am finding this really is a great way to learn even more about my kids. I am getting peeks into what offends them or hurts their feelings, even when they said nothing about it at the time. It's taken off into some great discussions, too. (This is why we have to start with the little ones... they can't wait for the discussion to end.) It is also fun to laugh over some things they thought were so wonderful! They really have a knack for reminding me to take pleasure in the simple things.

4 comments:

Pint-Size Princess said...

Does the 3yo really get this? Our dinnertime conversation is not the greatest right now, but I'm not sure my 4yo would get it.

Lily said...

The 3 yr old gets the "best" part. She doesn't understand how to do the "worst." Even when we tell her that means the sad part of her day, she doesn't get it.

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea.

My sister has a special plate and everyone has to tell the person with the special plate one thing they think is special about them before dinner is over. I thought that was neat, too.

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea! It would also help my dks not to just focus on the negative. Might give this one a try!