Sunday, March 11, 2007

We will spend our lives on You.

While on Three, God and Me this morning, I read this post. There was one particular line there that really grabbed me.

"As for me and my house,we will spend our lives on you"

That line caught my attention. I don't believe I've seen it said that way before, and it really is a great way to put it. Like I said in my reply to her post, our family prays together, reads the Bible together, goes to church together, and I'm starting to teach them to reach out to others, but am I really teaching them to spend their lives on Him?

So how does one do that?

It is not merely enough to be dependent on the Lord yourself. Meaning, you may pray all day in your heart to Him, fully relying on His strength to give you patience and wisdom while being a mother or in a career, but your children will not see that. They may see you always being patient and wise, but that won't be enough. Taking them to church isn't enough. We have to actively teach them. How?

We started something a few months ago that is a start, I suppose. The goal is to have one person each week that we bless as a family. With small children, that looks like a phone call from the kids or me, drawing pictures/writing letters to mail, sending ecards, and even taking them some flowers or a meal while visiting. Then at home, we pray for them. As I said, the goal is to have a different person each week, but I've not been faithful enough with it.

This is going to take some prayer and some thinking. I'd love to hear any thoughts you have on purposefully teaching our children to spend their lives on Christ.

No comments: