Saturday, March 3, 2007

Finding what makes a home "homey" to me

I've been married 7 years, and in that time I decorated a wee bit for the first couple years, but after that, I didn't. I couldn't put up curtains or pictures in one place we lived, and that seriously hampered things. Then the few knick-knacks I had were just not "me" anymore, though I didn't know what was "me."

Since I've been in my parents home for almost a year now, (wow, I canNOT believe it's been that long, nor would I have ever thought I'd be with my parents as an adult with children, but hey - life has been been way different than I'd ever imagined, anyway) I have really contemplated what I want my home to be like when I get back to my own place.

A big thing for me is: what would I put on my walls? Well, I've solved that one. I love pictures of family, of my children. I've decided I want to do a lot of our candid photos in black and white, close ups on their little faces, blown-up shots. I also love paintings of outdoor scenes -not animals, just scenery. And cross-stitch - wonderful quotes, lots of scripture. And all of these can be done by me. (I cannot paint yet, but have asked a close family friend to teach me. And when I move, I hope to continue by taking classes.) That's the best part: that I can surround our family with stuff that is so personal.

Another thing that says "home" to me is pillows and quilts. I hope to get a sewing machine sometime to work on that, as well.

Scented candles are also a big one for me.

And one more: I want to collect those family figurines from Willow Tree like this, this, this, and this.

So, what is home to you, in the realm of decor?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brightcolors adorn our walls. I remember a contractor saying, "you aren't suppose to put your color on your walls, you're suppose to bring it in with your furnishings." My first thought....gee, if I wait for pretty furnishing as long as I've waited for these pretty walls, it'll be forever!

Our home is the place of retreat, a renewing, and a revival of living. I find small clustering of my favorite things most appealing. I'm very much into simple lines. Items rotated into a re-mix. AND that means furniture gets moved often. I would love to do something with the photos we have aquired. A bulletin board wall with a collage' of photos is a goal.

Quiilts, embroideried pillows, cherished heirlooms, or pieces that just pop as something "I love" is what draws the eye, with the backdrop of bold colors.

Another thought: Is DO allow the children to decor their individual rooms with their favorite loves and unique passions. My son's room reflects his personality (but not a store-brought personality dreamt up by mom). You enter his room, and first of all, you see his collection of favorite books....that he has gathered and claimed as his own.....lined up in a precise order. That alone allows my heart to soar. :)

Lily said...

Thank you for the ideas! I completely hear you on the issue of waiting for pretty furnishings. Our home completely reflects the fact that we have small children right now - not pretty stuff, but definitely functional and colored to hide stains, LOL!