Tuesday, April 24, 2007

What are your long-term dreams for your family?

Or to put it another way: what is your vision for your family? What do you hope for your children?

I've been mulling over this. So far, this is what I've come up with:
1) I want them to have first-hand experience with the provision and love of God.
2) I want them to love reading.
3) I want them to be independent workers, both in academics and in work.
4) I want them to be servant-hearted.
5) I want them to know how to take care of all aspects of the home, no matter what their sex is. (What if they don't marry or become widow(er)s?)
6) I want them to think things through before acting - maturity and wisdom are buzz words you could attach to that.

Ok, so then it kinda dawned on me the other day... if I want them to exhibit those traits THEN, I have to begin training those traits NOW.

1) How much time in the day do I spend SHOWING them how He provides for our family and loves us? Must have conversations about this. This is why I started a prayer journal with them, but it must be talked about daily and often.

2) How often do we read books together? A few times a week - not even every day. It would be better to do it every day. It was every day at bedtime when we were doing chapter books. I need to get another book for nighttime reading, but we also need another time in the day to snuggle and read.

3) I have to start weaning them off my constant supervision when they are given jobs. Which means... I have to start with the basics: teaching definitions of "diligence" and "faithfulness" and "initiative" and then rewarding them for such characteristics, even if they did them for 30 seconds before slacking off. Memorizing verses on this character traits would be good.

4) I have to exhibit a servant's heart and have them do it with me. Taking a meal to a family? Kiddos, get in here and help. Have them make cards. "Suzy is sad lately; Sunshine, I was going to call her, but how about if you make the call first and then I'll talk?" And what about within our own family? I can teach them to look for ways to help each other, to serve Daddy when he comes home at the end of a day, to anticipate needs of others. Also, I should have them memorize verses on serving others.

5) This means that I won't let my son slide when it's time to do the laundry or mopping. It means when I start teaching my girls how to sew on buttons later, he'll be in there learning, too. It also means I will be expecting my girls to take out the trash, mow lawns, etc.

6) Hmmm, this is gonna mean lots of talking about decisions, about other's decisions, about what-does-the-Bible-say about the subject at hand, "why did you do that" and "what should you have done" and "why should you have done x-y-z."

That's all I've got so far.

What are your goals/dreams/visions for your children? How do you plan to get there? I'd love to glean from you!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Well coming from a family of just two girls and 8 years apart with our parents working 50 to 60 hours each a week, we were taught how to do many jobs that aren't typical I think.

I was doing laundry at a very young age, as well as ironing. I mowed the lawn each week, pulled weeds from the garden as well. I plan and prepared meals for my folks...which I hated by the way. My mom and grandmother taught me how to sew, my aunt taught me crocheting and baking. My mom was a mechanic so of course I had to know how to take care of my car when they finally gave me one...oil changes by me, fall and spring clean up with battery and spark plugs, etc...
My dad wasn't home to do the trash being he was also a truck driver on the road often so the trash was taking out by me!