Thursday, April 26, 2007

Well, music to someone's ears...

I don't know about you, but my kids seem to hate my singing. If I sing a song in the middle of the day - do you know what I hear?

"I like it better when you whistle, Mom."

Or...

"I like it when you hum."

Or Sweetheart will cover his ears and blurt out, "No zhing. NO ZHING."

Why, er, thanks. LOL

During our family devotional time, they are fine with my singing. Of course, they sing, too, so they probably don't pay much attention to me then. But at bedtime, they sincerely ask me, and even sometimes plead (believe it or not) for me to sing. Go figure, lol.

In fact, we have this tradition that I'm not really sure how it started, but I sing "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean" to them. I sing it many times, each time inserting a different child's name instead of "Bonnie." They really love it. If Sweetheart is crying and not liking bedtime, it instantly calms him down. He asks for it by saying, "Back. Back." Let me tell you, it took me awhile to figure out what on earth he was wanting, lol!

But really, music is such a big thing for me. I love music. It is such a boon to my spirits, my attitudes, and my perspective. Do you find the same to be true?

I find so much strength in singing praise songs! It gets my focus off whatever is troubling me, and puts it back on Him, which is where my eyes should be. In my most troublesome times, singing songs of His goodness and His provision are a constant support. Praying relieves the need to vent or get it out, but praise fills up those spots with something else, something better. Something fulfilling!!

And what's better yet... God doesn't mind hearing my voice. (wink)

2 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Hey, thank you SO much for blessing me today with your kind comments about my writing. I can assure you God used you to brighten my day. Is it goofy to say I cherish the comment you made on my blog? I do. I am enjoying your blog, too. I think "Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean" or "BACK!" as some know it, is riveting to people because of the melancholy tune. It's like the old "I don't wan to look but have to" at the traffic accident. I don't think people feel good when they hear this song, but it's hypnotizing. I had to laugh when you wrote "No zhing," because I thought that was your husband at first and that maybe he is German or something. Anyway, thank you so much. It meant the world to me today--truly!

Lily said...

Awww, I'm glad it made your day. And you are welcome. I meant it sincerely.

I laughed so hard at the thought of a German hubby. It took me a minute to understand why you took it as my husband, but then I remembered my nickname for my son is Sweetheart.