Thursday, July 26, 2007

Entertaining tomorrow...!

It's been on my heart a lot lately to be hospitable. I came upon a verse about hospitality in the Bible that just really grabbed me. It is a simple verse, and the wording doesn't seem to be something that would convict a person, but it convicted me. "Use hospitality one to another without grudging." - 1 Peter 4:9

Within days of feeling the pull from that verse to entertain, I found the blog 4 Reluctant Entertainers, written by Sandy, a fellow Christian woman. Her blog is just loaded with examples of being a hostess and full of lots of encouragement. It will be a long time before I can aspire to her level of hostessing, but after this post especially (on Irish hospitality and pride), I was encouraged to just jump in, with SIMPLE being the thing. We're finally settled in our new home, so now is a good time, right?

Here is the invitation I made to a sweet couple who live two doors down. They are a retired military couple (well, he was the soldier, but hey, we wives are "in" the military, too!), and I simply invited them over for goodies in the afternoon. I think I said, "cookies and milk." Although we are also gonna have banana bread. Also on the invitation, I invited them to "chat the afternoon away" with us. It'll be my kiddos, the neighboring couple, and myself. Hubby will still be at work.


After making the invitation, the kids and I walked to their house and personally delivered it. Since then, we've seen the wife out in the yard, and she was so excited! I've never seen anyone in their 60s so giggly before! It was the sweetest and most wonderful reaction. I never would have thought that cookies, milk, and conversation would bring such a response. She said she "can't wait!" I can't wait, either, and I will definitely let you know how it goes!

4 comments:

Candi said...

That's awesome!! I'm jealous...I want to come! I really do miss your company. I'm sure you'll be a great hostess!!

Pint-Size Princess said...

I've been thinking a lot (ok, it occasionally crosses my mind) since we talked about it a while ago. WTG on stepping out of your comfort zone. Maybe you'll inspire me, lol. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Anonymous said...

How funny! I just wrote in my private journal about hospitality! My family spent the whole day getting the house ready for company tomorrow, as it has been on our hearts to start being more hospitable. We are excited too!
Praying your time is blessed!
Love ya,
Tina

Anonymous said...

Oops...missed the dates there...praying your time WAS blessed! :0)