Friday, August 10, 2007

It's ok. Revoke my membership.

I think I must be a freak of girlish nature. At least when it comes to movies, anyway.

I prefer comedies and drama. There are a few rare romance movies that I like; although, of course, most movies have some level of romance in them because... well, that's life. Right?

Take last night. I went out with a new friend to a movie. The only real choices (in our opinions) were The Bourne Ultimatum and No Reservations. She was completely up for either one... I was not so much. Though I would have watched No Reservations if that is what she really wanted. Thankfully, we watched the Bourne movie.

I'm just not up for the average chick-flicks. The sappy, real-life-isn't-like-this stuff just irritates me. Makes me roll my eyes. Now... I do love Pride and Prejudice in just about any rendition, which seems to violate my rules, doesn't it? I don't know... it is somehow different. Maybe because most of the movie they hate each other, LOL! But this latest version that was out a couple years ago, with what's-her-name who always sits around with her mouth open... oh, what IS her name??? Keira Knightley! (Why do they insist on so many shots with her mouth slightly open??? Doesn't matter what movie she is in... ok, I'm digressing.) Anyway, this last version I liked until the very end. Kissing her fingers, Mrs. Darcy, Mrs. Darcy, Mrs. Darcy... ad nauseum for moments almost unending. I think I remember saying something like, "Oh hurl." Yes, I'm 10 years old sometimes, I think. LOL

I know I will forever ostracize myself with the following statements, but... *deep breath**... here goes anyway. I do not ever want to watch Steel Magnolias again. Nor Forever Young. Nor Stepmom. Nor Beaches. Nor Always. I think there are a few more, but you get the idea. And some of you are lying panting on the floor right now, gripping your chests, not even reading this sentence because I've just sent you into cardiac arrest. I'm sorry. I'm sure I just broke some horrible code of womanhood or... something.

It's not that I can't see they are fantastic movies. They ARE. Some are classics. Some are just so doggone funny! Like Steel Magnolias... so many great lines have come from that movie. And yet, I despise how hard it makes me sob at the end. I'll never watch it again.

So, I suppose this is where I turn in my membership card to the Normal Women Society? I promise, I won't reveal the secret handshake.

No comments: