Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Errands and vacuums: someone rescue me!

I'm so tired of errands!

First it started with Sunday - HAD to go grocery shopping, no choice. Was also out of important stuff that had to be gotten at our little town's version of Walmart. (That's right - no Walmart/Target/Kmart in my town. Gotta drive for that.)

Then yesterday I had other business that had to be taken care of on yesterday, no other choices. And today? The same.

I also have vacuum woes. The belt on the brush broke, so I took the vacuum apart to replace it. No big deal - only 4 screws to remove and one panel. Very easy. But to put back together? Night.mare. It will NOT go back as it came off, and while putting it together again, I lost one of the screws. I was so careful to keep track of it, but somehow it is gone. I have searched the floor like a crazy woman, and even looked inside the vacuum. No luck.

So guess what one of my errands will include today? Taking my vacuum to our local friendly hardware store, so one of the fellas there can be my hero.

Have my hubby fix it you say? Well, I would, except the man is out of town on a mission, as the military calls it. And I need to vacuum. Badly.

The cute thing is I called the hardware store and talked to one of the guys there, and I admitted that I felt very foolish for not being able to put the stupid thing back together. When I asked him how much they charged for that sort of thing, he said, "Oh, it should be less than $200." LOL - I told him I should hope so, or I could just buy another vacuum. He did assure me it couldn't possibly cost me much for putting in 4 screws... but I have a sneaking suspicion that it will cost me a bit of my pride.

"Hello, I'm a mother of 4 who daily navigates the complexities of rearing children and managing a household. I can follow a recipe and solve the world's problems with a kiss - but I can't put a few screws back in an appliance."

2 comments:

mommy to six J's said...

That is what that man is their for and you are there to make hime feel needed. I hate running errands I wish there was a service that did all the running around for you.

Lily said...

Oh, now wouldn't THAT be lovely!